Pico de Orizaba

Pico de Orizaba
Taken from Huatusco, Veracruz, the closest town to Margarita's family's ranch.

Friday, March 24, 2017

"I'd rather die running than die sleeping..."

Lastnight... I dreamed... but the dream wasn't really worth remembering... At least that's what I thought...  Yes, for some reason my cousin Craig appeared... and we must have been in his house... But, it wasn't really an important dream... At least that's what I thought...

I have a fitbit heart monitor watch...  a 47th birthday present... I use it for monitoring my heart rate during runs...But, it is even more interesting for monitoring my sleep patterns...

Would you believe that taking 2 mgs of Melatonin before going to sleep enables me to sleep the whole night through?  And if the following morning, after supposedly having a night of undesturbed sleep I feel lethargic and even coffee doesn't do the trick, well I'm not surprised when me sleep read-out states that I was very restless that night...

Well, last night I only partially remembered one dream... Craig was in it, so was Margarita... In fact, she was driving momentarilly... We were looking for someone who was scheduled for giving me an alternative check-up at Craig's house...  and that was basically it... Yes, I became angry with Margarita... but, nothing more... not a nightmare... no loss of control and the car veering off the road and over a cliff, asas has occurred in many a dream...  Nothing occurred that was noteworthy...

But, around 4am, my heart rate jumped over 180 beats per minute for 19 minutes...  Just so you understand, during my run today (and every day I run), my heart rate didn't reach 170... nor using the rowing machine intensely...  For hours, my heart rate was in the 50s... Then suddenly it jumped up to over 180 and stayed there for 19 minutes...  and then returned to the 50s for the following hours of sleep...

Very strange.

And the sleep monitor states that I slept nearly perfectly.  I didn't awaken once for 8 hours... Not even with a heart rate of over 180 for 19 minutes...

Today I felt bad.  Tired...  A digestive issue... We went to the park and I lay in the sun for an hour... Read in the shade for a while more...  Drank Electrolyte and Gatorade... still felt bad...  Margarita suggested I run tomorrow morning.  But I responded that I wanted to see how my heart rate is during the run...  I was still concerned about why it jumped so high in my sleep... Since June, I've never seen such a thing occur during my sleep...  

I was concerned about running with something that could kill me in my sleep... that could kill me during my run... And I didn't feel well...  but the mantra returned to my mind... I decided I should respect it, repeating it in my head... "I'd rather die running than die sleeping."  Considering Margarita's feelings, I kept the mantra to myself... 

Thanks to the Electrolyte and Gatorade, my run was the best of the period...  

At the moment I feel horrible...  What can you do?  

185...  Peak heart rate for an almost 47-year-old man?  I believe it is 175... 


No comments: