Pico de Orizaba

Pico de Orizaba
Taken from Huatusco, Veracruz, the closest town to Margarita's family's ranch.

Saturday, May 20, 2017

A note on Alt-J and Real de Catorce, San Luis Potosi Mexico

We were in the kitchen, breaking fast, 10am... Margarita was listening to the radio... had just prepared me a Moka... hot...  what was I doing?  Probably considering what we would eat... that would tide me over for 8 hours and a run in the park... another hot day...

I don't know what the commentators were saying... Then suddenly a song came on the radio... and I said to Margarita... "This sounds like Alt-J... No one has their style and his voice...  They must have come out with a third album..."

4 years ago Margarita suggested that she wanted a new radio for the kitchen... I had my computer connected to Bose speakers above... that I used for painting... her radio was the same we used late into our times in Xalapa... it died... And why should she have to listen to what I blasted while painting above?  

So, one day, we were selling real well, so I went to the Bose store and bought her the best Bose stereo here in Guadalajara... it has a CD player...  Since we didn't have a smart phone for another 4 years and the wifi equipped radios actually were of lesser quality, the only option Margarita had for music was the radio, which can become incredibly old here in Guadalajara or CDs... and we began buying CDs... Latinos, "American" and British...  I fell "in-love" with Alt-J and miraculously found their first two CDs here in Guadalajara...  When painting in the kitchen, I paint to them, Radiohead (British), Zoë (Mexican), Bebé (Spanish), Los Caifanes (Mexican), Heroes de Silencio (Spanish-Argentinan), Natalia Laforcade (Mexican), Café Tacuba (Mexican), Pharell Williams ("American")... 

I came up to the computer and was inspired to write on my blog, in Spanish...  

"Es que..."  "¿... crees que nada te mueve... eres la maestra de tú destino... todo empieza y termina contigo... nada y nadie te mueve...?"

And in the middle of writing the posting,

 "It's that..." "... you believe that nothing moves you... you are the master of your destiny... everything begins and ends with you... nothing and no one moves you...?"

... I decided to look up Alt-J on Google and low and behold, they come out with their third album the day after the aniversary of my father's birth, June 2nd...  I checked YouTube and there were their official videos... which I shared with you below...  I imagine that the video with the wood rat is connected with a movie that came out in 2017 or will come out...  Margarita didn't like the wood mouse... nor the snake...  I, on the other hand love mice... Snakes?  Well, we've gotta accept them for their cultural symbolic meaning... the symbolism of when they appear in our dreams... telling us that someone is scheming against us... only to find out weeks later that that was exactly what was occuring at the time... We've made some pretty incredible decisions based on 3 dreams with snakes, two by Margarita, one was mine...  I don't know if you've heard my story about stumbling across 3 rattlers at the Delaware Water Gap one summer, separate occasions... and how that influenced my perspective on the myth of "the Garden of Eden" and the true history of human language-communication and the true fall from grace... the destruction of the world... I don't like snakes, but I have great respect for them...  Truthfully, what organism on the Earth should we NOT respect?  Donald Trump?  Well you've gotta respect his ability to dig a grave faster than any grave digger in the history of the world... however, this grave may not be his alone...

Towards the end of the first video, Margarita mentioned the things she wished I would do this morning... having to do with a accounts and paper mess...  And then the second video began... and we return to "Es que..." and "who" moves what and how...  

At 10am the Alt-J song on the radio... Alt-J, alternative rock from England, so far from the Mexican musical reality...  And I came up here thinking about spiritual connections or soul paths and writing about it in Spanish, not English... And looked up Alt-J...

The second video froze Margarita... Group from England, video in Spanish with English subtitles... But what transfixed her more than hearing her own language and seeing her face in the faces of the women, but that we walked those same footfalls, same stone streets, same steps... looked back down into town at the same church... We admired the same view below and the rocky desert hills above... we were there 9 thousand feet above sea level too watching the clouds sweep towards us... We were in that church above... probably had some of the same worries... concerns... And there we were, transported back 9 years, wonderful experience, wonderful photographs, one of my best drawings, José Montaña had asked me to paint that drawing big on his staircase... But, there's an incredible difference between drawing the doors "passageways" and painting it... impossible for me to repeat in paint... with such incredible detail and shadings, tones...  

So, this is why I posted the "second" video you see right below this post... more that greatly important that you look at the video...  where photos can't take you that videos can...






No comments: